Friday, February 22, 2013

Freezing Veggies - Brrrr...it's cold in here!

Freezing Veggies.

A couple of nights ago, we had tacos for dinner.  I like to add a little onion and green pepper to ground beef as it cooks for tacos.  Usually, when I chop onions, they make me cry, though, so I don't like doing it.  It doesn't really sting too badly, but I just get SUPER watery eyes - like dripping on the floor cannot stop the flow watery eyes.

Also, I don't use a whole onion very often in one night - and it might be a while until I need a little more, etc.  So, here's my solution:  ICE CUBE TRAYS.  That is right - the ones I use now came in packs of 2 from the dollar tree.  Here's the process I use:

1.  Peel the onion/seed the pepper/peel the carrot, or whatever veggie it is.
2.  Put it in the food processor (by the way, I got an awesome hand blender that doubles as a food processor...fabulous).
3.  Dump the pureed/diced veggie in an ice cube tray and flash freeze (just overnight usually for me).  They'll freeze in their own juice.  No need to add water.
4.  Put the cubes into labeled zip lock baggies - "sweet onions" "green bell peppers" - you get the drill.


5.  When making taco meat or spaghetti sauce or whatever it is that needs a little umph, add a cube or two or three and avoid crying all over everything.



YAY!  Eating better tasting, better for you, less preserved food.  Can't go wrong, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment