Friday, August 6, 2010

Job Hunt

So, I've completed Graduate School, and I'm on to my next adventure: finding a job in which to use my newly found skill and licensure. This task, I have found, is easier said than done. You know the drill: countless hours of searching, resume scrutiny, cover letter writing followed by delivering these documents, shaking hands, interviewing and thank-you noting...only to end up (thus far) with a, "Sorry, the position has already been filled." Thus has been the relentless pattern has consumed my life since May.

It is easy to get discouraged by this, and so you think to yourself, "It's the economy - the jobs just aren't there right now, and the market is flooded with heavily qualified applicants," or, "I just don't have the right kind of experience, or I'm not conveying my experience well in an interview." It's enough to make you say, "I quit...I'll just stay unemployed and get some things done around the house or volunteer somewhere rather than waste my time working toward an impossible goal."

But then, an amazing thing happens: God puts these wonderful people in your path who put things into perspective for you. "Maybe those jobs weren't the right ones for you. Maybe God has a different plan. I know you're frustrated, but, in the end, you'll look back and say, 'Oh! So that's what all of that was for!'"

And so, with renewed vigor, I begin the cycle again: resumes, cover letters, shaking hands, interviews......

No comments:

Post a Comment